In December 2018, Google allowed districts to take part in Beta-testing for the Locked Mode Quiz feature in Google Forms. As the testing period comes to a close on this feature, and we get closer to a wider release date for all GSuite users, take a look at this tutorial to see what’s to come.
Learn the basics of setting up a Locked Mode Quiz on Google Forms and Google Classroom. Gain perspective on what students see during locked quizzes.
To enable Locked Mode in a Google Form
- Create a Google Form Quiz at http://forms.new
- Click on the Gear at the top right of your form.
- Choose the Quizzes menu
- Choose “Make this a quiz”
- Choose “Turn on Locked Mode”
- Click Save
- Edit questions, answers, etc…
- When ready, send your form to students using the Send button.
Set Up Locked Mode in Google Classroom Quizzes
- Open a Google Classroom Course
- Click on Classwork
- Click the Create button
- Choose Quiz Assignment
- Google Classroom will create a Quiz Assignment with a Blank Quiz attached
- Enable the “Locked Mode on Chromebooks” option
- Open your quiz and edit questions, answers, etc…
- Click Assign
- Only students logged in to managed Chromebooks will be able to access your quiz.
- When students click Start Quiz, they will enter Kiosk mode, and will no longer have access to open new tabs in Chrome
- If a student chooses Close Quiz, you will receive a notification that a student tried to close the quiz before attempting answers.
- This feature allows you to see if students are “mining” quizzes for questions so they can look up answers before re-opening the quiz later.