A lot of people ask me how I have time to keep up with this blog in addition to work, family, and church. I will admit that trying to keep up with all the news in EdTech and still keep my blog up and running takes a lot of effort – not to mention the Techy Coach page on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. No matter how much I do, I still feel like I have a lot on my plate and I am burning the candle at both ends.
My Secret Tool is “IFTTT”
IFTTT, or “If This Then That” is a site that allows you to create “Recipes” or workflows to make your life easier. For instance, you can set up a recipe to alert you by email if a new post is added to your favorite RSS Feed. A list of Recipes based on this scenario here.
It doesn’t stop there. There are literally thousands of ways you can use IF to make your life easier, as there are hundreds of services you can link to your IF account.
How do I use IF?
As I have several outlets for the Techy Coach online, I use IF to:
- Pin new YouTube tutorial videos to my Pinterest Page.
- Post new blog articles to LinkedIn
- Post new blog articles to Facebook
- Post new blog articles to Twitter
- Tweet new Tutorial Videos to Twitter
- Post new blog articles to Pinterest
How can you use IF?
- Lower the thermostat at home if the temperature drops below a certain level outside.
- Notify your neighbor if your smoke alarm goes off.
- Log FitBit Activity in a Google Doc