Recently Google added a few new features that will make life easier for teachers, whether you are teaching in a brick and mortar 1:1 environment or teaching online. Check out the video below and then scroll down for step by step instructions…
Create Breakout Rooms Ahead of Time in Google Calendar
When adding a Google Meet Video Call to a Google Calendar Event, you can set up your Breakout Rooms ahead of time. To do this:
- Go to Google Calendar
- Click anywhere to create an event
- Make sure to add Google Meet Video Conferencing
- Click More Options
- Click on the Gear next to the Google Meet button
- Choose Breakout Rooms
- Change the number of Rooms and add rename them
- Drag attendees to their appropriate room
- Click Save
- Your event will now be set up ahead of time with the appropriate Breakout Rooms and attendees assigned to them!
Use Rich Text Formatting When Creating Posts in Google Classroom
Previously if you wanted to add instructions to a post (Material, Assignment, etc…) you had no rich text formatting options. Now Google Classroom has given users the ability to use Bold, Italics, Underline and Bulleted Text to instructions. To see this feature, just go to the Stream or Classwork menu and add a new post. In the instructions section you will notice the text toolbar at the bottom. Just highlight text and click on the text toolbar to apply these formatting options.